Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Quick Tip for Success - Get Recommended for Your Volunteer Jobs on LinkedIn

I've mentioned it before, but I think it's worth repeating...be sure to post your significant volunteer roles on your LinkedIn profile. Not only does it build your positive online brand, but it also adds valuable experience to your overall career snapshot. Simply add your current and/or past volunteer roles to your online profile - then take the extra step of asking your volunteer managers and peers to recommend your work. As a nonprofit leader, this is something that I can give back to my volunteers and enjoy doing so.

3 comments:

  1. Great point - everyone should add this to their to-do list! I think I've alreaedy got you as a recomendee on Linked In - have I recommended you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this - but how would you suggest that we list volunteer work on LinkedIn? They really have no place for it - and since I do volunteer work with various organizations, I think it may be confusing if I break up my career history with my volunteer work. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strategic Volunteering GuruNovember 4, 2010 at 1:30 PM

    @andimariep - I ask the volunteers in my organization to list their significant volunteer roles just like they do their professional experience. So, you would literally include it in the current and/or past experience section. This also allows people to make an online recommendation for your volunteer service - adding credentials to your personal brand!

    ReplyDelete